Sunday, January 8, 2017

What is My Response to the Newborn King?




From the Catholic Liturgy for Epiphany Sunday, January 8, 2017. Matthew 2:1-12. Today’s liturgy celebrates the Epiphany (manifestation or revelation) of Jesus Christ to the Magi. An epiphany is an experience we have of WHO Jesus really is and WHAT this means (or should mean) in our lives. An encounter with Jesus always demands a response from those who experience it. In today’s Gospel, we see three different types of responses to Jesus: Herod (who rejects Him as a threat); the chief priests and scribes (who are unmoved by news of His long-awaited arrival); and the magi (who invest all of themselves in order to see Him).  The million dollar question for us today who read this Gospel is this: what is my response to Jesus, the God-King? Do I have a mix of all three within me? How can I chase the “Herod” and the “scribes” out of my response to Jesus, and be filled with the praise, adoration and gift-giving of the Magi?

No comments:

Post a Comment